- Privacy Notice (terms of engagement)
- 1. Who we are:
We are Charltons Solicitors of 70 George’s Street Lower, Dun Laoghaire, County Dublin. You can contact us at this address by post or by email at email@example.com
Our Data Protection Officer is Gearóidín Charlton who may be contacted at the above address and email address.
2. Why we process your data, the lawful basis for processing your data and who we share it with:
A. For our clients, we process data:
• in order to provide you with legal advice
• to assist you with legal claims or legal proceedings
• to assist you with your legal rights
The legal basis for the processing of this data is processing necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party.
Where we process special categories of data relating to you, e.g. health data that we may process in connection with a legal claim where we are acting on your behalf, our legal basis for processing will be that the processing is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
There may also be limited circumstances where our legal basis for processing is your consent (where we have sought it and you have provided it to us), in which case you can withdraw your consent at any time.
We share this data with our practice management system provider. We may also send you emails through our email service provider. They may only process this data for the purpose of providing us with their services, and no other purpose.
We may also share certain parts of this data with [your barrister, doctor or expert witness and with the counterpart solicitor].
We will retain this data in accordance with our Data Retention Policy. You can request this at firstname.lastname@example.org
B. For our potential, current and past clients, we process data:
• in order to market the services of our firm
• to provide you with legal updates and newsletters to which you have subscribed
The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interest in the administration and operation of our legal services as well as our legitimate interest in marketing and promoting our firm’s legal services.
3. Your rights relating to personal data:
You have the following rights under the GDPR, in certain circumstances and subject to certain exemptions, in relation to your personal data:
• right to access the data – you have the right to request a copy of the personal data that we hold about you, together with other information about our processing of that personal data.
• right to rectification- you have the right to request that any inaccurate data that is held about you is corrected, or if we have incomplete information you may request that we update the information such that it is complete.
• right to erasure – you have the right to request us to delete personal data that we hold about you. This is sometimes referred to as the right to be forgotten.
• right to restriction of processing or to object to processing – you have the right to request that we no longer process your personal data for particular purposes, or to object to our processing of your personal data for particular purposes.
•. Right to data portability – you have the right to request us to provide you, or a third party, with a copy of your personal data in a structured, commonly used machine readable format.
In order to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact us at the contact details at the start of this privacy notice.
If we are processing personal data based on your consent, you may withdraw that consent at any time. This does not affect the lawfulness of processing which took place prior to its withdrawal.
If you are unhappy with how we process personal data, we ask you to contact us so that we can rectify the situation.
You may lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. The Irish supervisory authority is the Data Protection Commission.
4. Requirement to process personal data:
If you do not provide us with your information for the purposes described above, we cannot provide you with legal advice or represent you in legal proceedings.
5. Automated decision-making and profiling:
We do not use any personal data for the purpose of automated decision-making or profiling.